Connecting via Remote Desktop
Windows users can access their PC remotely from home using a combination of the DLS VPN and Microsoft Remote Desktop services. Please follow the instructions for accessing the DLS VPN first then follow the steps below to connect to Remote Desktop.
Note: Remote Desktop must be enabled on your office computer first before you can connect!
To enable Remote Desktop on your office pc (Windows 7):
- Open Control Panel, select "View By Small Icons" then click System
- Click on Remote Settings on the left menu
- Under Remote Desktop, select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)
- Click Ok, and make a note of your computer's network name ie NEL7-Desktop1 or the IP address
To connect from your home PC:
- Go to Start -> Run
- Type in “mstsc” without the quotes where it says “open”
- In the Remote Desktop Connection window type in your office computer name or office computer IP where it says “Computer” and click “Connect”
- Log on with the same user name and password you use when you are in front of your work computer