The Life Sciences Help Desk serves as a single point of contact for DLS faculty and staff providing the first level in a two-tired problem reporting and resolution system. In addition to providing front-line technical support, the Help Desk coordinates the full resources of DLS technicians and other Life Sciences professionals. Incidents and their priorities are handled according to the IT policy and procedures.
First Level Case Solving:
- A case solved by the Help Desk Coordinator during the first call from the end-user.
- A case solved during a personal visit from the end-user to the Help Desk.
- A case that arrives electronically via email.
- A case that arrives in written form via fax or interoffice mail.
Second-Level Case Solving:
- A case escalated by the Help Desk Coordinator to a campus resource for resolution. The individual campus assigns the campus resource and prioritizes the case on a case by case basis.
- A case escalated by the Help Desk Analyst to programming or Network operations staff.
The Help Desk remains the point of contact between the end-user and second level support staff. The Help Desk will make every effort to keep the user informed of the status of his or her case but due to call volume, follow up calls are not always possible and, therefore, the end-user is encouraged to initiate the follow up or status call to the Help Desk.
Life Sciences Help Desk Objectives:
- Provide a single point of contact.
- Provide the end-user with a confirmation of the problem log, including log number.
- Increase efficiency of incident resolution by:
- escalating the call to the proper second level support, programming, or operations staff.
- promptly recording and accurately describing the incident in the online problem reporting database.
- Serve as database manager of the problem reporting system.
- Build a knowledge base of frequent problems and solutions.
- Facilitate self-help through the Life Sciences Help Desk web site.
- Make every effort to follow up problem logs with the end user.
- Offer Help Desk workshops via staff development day events.
- Provide your name, phone number, department name, and building and room number.
- Provide any additional relevant information concerning the request or problem.
- Describe the problem clearly and in as much detail as possible.
- Describe the severity of the problem.
- Provide a reasonable requested completion deadline date.
- Follow up with the Help Desk if resolution is not obtained in a timely manner.
Methods for Requesting Service:
- Telephone ext (732) 445-3661
Division of Life Science IT HelpDesk Hours:
- Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm